Those New Year music lists, in brief.
TWENTY ALBUMS OF 2008
- The What?
- Yeah, Right.
- Oh, That… I Remember That Coming Out…
- No, They’re Making These Up.
- Ah, Now I Was Actually Thinking Of Getting This One.
- They Were On Later, Weren’t They? Didn’t Think Much Of Them.
- Bloody Hell, Are They Still Going?
- Ah, No, These Are The Ones Who Were On Later. Don’t Know Who The Other Lot Are.
- Don’t Know What This Is Doing Here.
- I Got This, Didn’t I? Oh, Apparently Not.
- No, No Idea.
- Or This One.
- Or This One Either.
- Might Look In The Sales For This One.
- I Did Actually Get The Single. It Was Rubbish.
- Their Fourth Album? How Can It Possibly Be Their Fourth Album?
- Ah, These Are The Ones Who… No. No, That’s Someone Else.
- They‘re Hip Now, Are They?
- That Really Is A Made-Up Name. It Has To Be.
- Rediscovered? What Do You Mean, Rediscovered?
…AND TEN TO LOOK OUT FOR IN 2009
- Already Been In The Guardian
- Already Been On Later
- Already Been On Newsnight Review
- Already Been Interviewed In The Metro
- Already Been On The Front Of The NME
- Possibly The Next Klaxons!
- Possibly The Next Corinne Bailey-Rae!
- Possibly The Next Kate Nash!
- Possibly The Next Test Icicles!
- A Band You Actually Quite Like, Strategically Positioned At The Bottom Of The List So As To Make You Feel Terminally Unhip
Me, at the moment I’m mostly listening to Tony Capstick, James Yorkston, National Health and in particular Radiohead; thanks to Zavvi’s Looming Bankruptcy Sale, I recently acquired a copy of OK Computer, which I somehow missed out on in 1997, and which (although this probably isn’t news to anyone but me) is rather fine. In particular, I’m feeling the need to play “Paranoid Android” several times a day; what this says about my psychological state I’m not sure, but it’s probably nothing good. (In my defence, I do like a good bit of 7/4.) When that’s worn off I’ll probably move on to the rest of my bargain-bin gap-fillers, which are by Captain Beefheart, Dexy’s Midnight Runners, Jim Moray and Scott Walker. Or I might see if I can get the Last Shadow Puppets album cheap (the lads can’t actually sing, which is a real drawback for going up against those kinds of arrangement, but that single that sounded a bit like Love worked OK, so maybe they can bring it off).
So no, I’m not in the market for anything by Little Boots, thanks very much.