As the upload of Robert Wyatt’s A short break completes, I have now ripped my entire CD collection; rather smaller than my vinyl collection, but it still amounts to 2690 songs (or seven days and 20 hours, as iTunes helpfully informs me). So let’s do this properly. Hit it! (And for a bonus point, name two Talking Heads songs where David Byrne uses that un-David-Byrne-like expression.)
Step 1: Put your media-player on random play.
Step 2: Write down the first line from the first 20 songs that play.
Step 3: Let everyone guess what song the lines come from.
Step 4: Cross out the songs when someone guesses correctly.
Same rules as before: no instrumentals, no sampled spoken-word, no songs with the title in the first line and nothing I don’t recognise myself. Also no repeats from the first time I did this – in fact, nothing from the same album as anything that came up the first time round. And no two songs from the same artist. Simple, really. I don’t know why we don’t do this kind of thing more often.
Update 17th June – remaining beans spilled.
“You’re the only woman I need, and baby you know it”
– Amen Corner, “Bend me, shape me”
- “Ar ol llond poced o fadarch roes ti’r ty ar dan”
– SFA, “Dim Bendith”
- “My eyes burn naked, my black cold numbers, my insecurities, my devious nature, make it go away”
– Underworld, “Sola Sistim”
- “The last message you sent said I looked really down”
– Franz Ferdinand, “You could have it so much better”
“See me comin’ to town with my soul”
– Beck, “E-Pro”
- “Did you ever hover in the distance?”
– Robyn Hitchcock, “Oceanside”
“Nobody feels any pain tonight as I stand inside the rain”
– Bob Dylan, “Just like a woman”
“I want to chill, want to sit real still, want to sleep like the dead on a bed of roses”
– the Divine Comedy, “Bad ambassador”
“Last night your shadow fell upon my lonely room”
– the Electric Prunes, “I had too much to dream last night”
“Alcohol, heroin, THC, care in the impotent community”
– Fatima Mansions, “Chemical Cosh”
- “Over an ocean away, like salmon, turning back for Nayram”
– Robert Wyatt, “Maryan”
“You’ve been away so long, too long, what’s wrong with us today?”
– Lightning Seeds, “What if”
“I’m on a roll, I’m on a roll this time”
– Radiohead, “Lucky”
- “I don’t want to lose her, I don’t want to hurt her, I don’t want to lose her”
– Mull Historical Society, “Her is you”
- “Sitting in the classroom, thinking it’s a drag”
– Brownsville Station (covered by REM), “Smokin’ in the boys’ room”
“There’s a farm called Misery, but of that we’ll have none”
– Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, “Jollity Farm”
“Here comes Johnny Yen again”
– Iggy Pop, “Lust for Life”
- “I saw two shadow men on the Vallance Road”
– the Libertines, “Up the bracket”
- “Reporting damage, it is soft rock shit”
– Cornershop, “Lessons learned from Rocky I to Rocky III”
“Damn that television!”
– Talking Heads, “Found a job”
- “When the last frost of Winter has thawed”
– Nothing Painted Blue, “Career Day”
“Hi, we’re your weather girls, and have we got news for you!”
– the Weather Girls, “Why don’t you eat carrots?”
Definitely more representative of my collection than the previous take; I think it might be easier, too. Over to you.
Update 2nd June: I realised when I got to the end of this list that I’d missed one out. So now there are 21.
Another update, 5th June: Paul (comments) has me bang to rights – there were actually two that got missed out. Oh well, make it 22.