[Updated 19th May - all is revealed.]
Jim: I decide to go hunting for a musical blog meme.
Cheers, Jim – don’t mind if I do.
Step 1: Put your media-player on random play.
Step 2: Write down the first line from the first 20 songs that play.
Step 3: Let everyone guess what song the lines come from.
Step 4: Cross out the songs when someone guesses correctly.
Here goes. Like Jim, I’ve excluded instrumentals and songs with the title in the first line; I’ve also excluded tracks I didn’t recognise myself and, arbitrarily, a version of “Auld Lang Syne”. I haven’t ripped very many CDs, so the list that follows is biased towards certain categories of music – primarily a) things I really like and b) things from freebie CDs that I wanted to throw away. (And no, of course I’m not saying which is which.)
- I saw you in your wetsuit, you were watching from the shower
- Orange Juice, “Salmon fishing in New York”
Belly up in a sea of love
- Doves, “Rise” (Paulie)
- An address to the golden door
- the Shins, “So say I”
I come home in the morning light
- Cyndi Lauper, “Girls just wanna have fun” (Paulie)
- I saw a boy’s t-shirt today
- the Earlies, “One of us is dead”
Put in your pocket for a rainy day, sing your song and you know you’re wrong now
- the Beta Band, “the House Song” (Rob)
Clouds so swift, rain won’t lift
- Bob Dylan, “You ain’t going nowhere” (Jim)
- All I wanted was your time
- Espers (or Durutti Column), “Tomorrow”
One-way system, smooth and commendable
- Half Man Half Biscuit, “For what is Chatteris” (Jim)
- Well, she’s all you’d ever want
- Tom Jones, “She’s a lady”
- You say that your love was just for me now
- Toots and the Maytals, “True love is hard to find”
- I’m just a common-or-garden guy
- Peter Blegvad, “Magritte”
Pretty women out walking with gorillas down my street
- Joe Jackson, “Is she really going out with him?” (Paulie)
- Hey, you – you wouldn’t make a phone call if it didn’t serve you
- Hamell on Trial, “Go fuck yourself”
- We pulled up with three miles to go
- James Yorkston and the Athletes, “Banjo #2″
- Waiting for the break of day
- Chicago, “25 or 6 to 4″
Practice doesn’t make perfect when you’re interbreeding
- Blur, “Villa Rosie” (Justin)
- I could be pouring my heart out, I still don’t think that you’d hear me
- King Creosote, “Marguerita Red”
- The lunch bell rang at one o’clock sharp
- Barry Booth, “The hottest day of the year”
Oh, the towering feeling
- Vic Damone (and doubtless others), “The street where you live” (Larry)